Cycle (A) Pentecost


Acts 2:1-11; 1 Cor. 12:3b-7, 12-13; Jn. 20:19-23

Feast of Pentecost is believed to be the oldest feast in the Church. The story of Pentecost dates back to the first century A.D. It coincided with the Jewish Feast of Weeks, which occurs 50 days after the Passover (Deuteronomy 16:10). According to Jewish tradition, the Ten Commandments were given to Moses 50 days after the first Passover,
which freed the Hebrews from their bondage in Egypt. As the Hebrews settled into Canaan, the feast became a time to honor the Lord for blessing the fruits of their labors. Since this Jewish holiday took place at the same time of the Pentecost, many Jewish Christians appropriated its celebration into their Christian commemoration of the coming of the Spirit.

According to book of Acts, the Church came into being on the day of Pentecost. As 120 worshipers, including the Disciples, were fasting and praying in an upper room in Jerusalem, the Holy Spirit descended upon them in a violent rushing wind that was heard throughout the city. Small flames of fire rested upon their heads, and they began to speak in other languages. As crowds came to investigate the commotion, the Apostle Peter spoke to them about Jesus and exhorted them to repent. From the crowd of Jews and converts, 3,000 realized the truth of his words and became followers of Jesus.

For Christians, the celebration of Pentecost imparts faith, hope, a sharing of community, and an awareness of a purpose much greater than themselves.

First of all, the coming of the Spirit strengthened the faith of the small group of people who were fasting and praying in an upper room in Jerusalem. The Gospels present all these men as men of little faith.  When the disciples saw Jesus walking on the water, they were terrified. On realizing that it was Jesus, Peter requested Jesus to allow him to walk to Him. Peter set foot on the water and proceeded, but soon he began to sink. Thomas wanted to touch the wounds of Jesus to believe. All the disciples disappeared from the scene of Jesus’ crucifixion. These men of little faith were empowered by the Holy Spirit to bear witness to Jesus. Peter, whose doubt made him sink, stood before the crowd and announced the message of Jesus. Thomas who wanted to touch the wounds of Jesus travelled to the Far East and embraced martyrdom to bear witness to Jesus.

Today, as we commemorate the event of the empowering the disciples and the early Christians, the church admonishes us to strengthen our faith too. Often we hear people say, “My belief is fifty percent.” Or “my belief is ninety percent.” But belief cannot be fifty percent or ninety percent. We either believe or do not. When the belief is strong anything is possible. That is what the story of Pentecost, the life of the Apostles, and the community of the early Christians teaches us.

There is a story in Indian tradition. A certain holy man wanted to live an isolated life away from the hazels of the world and spent time in silence and meditation. So he chose an island in river Ganges. For a few days he lived there unnoticed. Slowly the boatmen became aware of human presence in that island. They spread the news that a holy man lived in solitude in the island.  Hearing this people began to bring him food, and sought his blessings. Monsoon came, and water began to rise in the Ganges. As water kept on rising the flow of devotees to the island came down. Slowly and steadily water rose and the island began to submerge. People persuaded the holy man to leave the island, but he refused. Almost all the people except a little girl who brought him milk everyday, stopped coming to the island. One day, the holy man met the little girl and asked her, what made her bring milk though all the other people stopped coming to the island. She said that it was her father’s last wish that she should provide milk to him. Since she had promised it to her father she could not break it. The water in the river rose very high and boatmen refused to take her to the cottage any more. So she told the holy man that she would not be able to feed him anymore, and she persuaded him to leave the island. But he refused then she asked him how she could reach him with milk. He said, “Recite the name of God, and come.” The next day when the holy man got up, he found milk at his door steps. Water rose further and he too decided to leave the island. He waited for the girl to come so that he would leave the island with her. The next day when she came he told her to take him, too, with her in the boat. She said, “I don’t have a boat.”
“How did you come?” asked the holy man.
She said, “I recited the name of God, as advised by you and walked to your hut”
“That’s all,” asked the holy man.
The girl replied, “That’s all.”
“Then, I am coming with you,” said the holy man. He packed up his belongings, folded his garb and set his foot on the water, reciting the name of God. But, to his surprise he began to sink. He asked the little girl, “You are walking on the water, but I am sinking. Why is it?”
She replied, “O Lord, you asked me to believe, and I believed in your words. But, you folded your garb before setting foot on the water.”

The faith of the apostles was no weaker because the Spirit had strengthened their belief. Their belief was so strong that all those who listened to them were captivated by them. Their listeners in Galilee, Samaria and other regions began to follow them.

Secondly, the Spirit empowered the Apostles to translate their belief into action.  They bore witness to what they believed. They undertook the journey that they thought was impossible. They had a dream, and they toiled to achieve their dream.

“I Tried to Climb the Mountain Today” gives a beautiful message.

I tried to climb the mountain today. As I inched my way up the path, I felt overwhelmed, so I had to turn back.

I tried to climb the mountain today. On my journey, darkness started to fall, and I was full of fear, so I had to return to a safe place.

I was ready to climb the mountain today. But it was so hot outside, I thought I better stay in my nice air-conditioned house and rest up for tomorrow's attempt.

I was about to climb the mountain today. But I had so many other things to do, so instead of climbing the mountain I took care of much more important tasks.
I washed my car, mowed the grass and watched the big game. Today the mountain will just have to wait.

I was going to climb the mountain today. But as I stared at the mountain in its majestic beauty, I knew I stood no chance of making it to the top, so I figured why even bother trying.

I have forgotten about climbing the mountain today; until a friend came by and asked me what I was up to lately. I told him I was thinking about climbing that mountain someday.

I went on and on about how I was going to accomplish this task.

Finally, he said, "I just got back from climbing the mountain. For the longest time I told myself I was trying to climb the mountain but never made any progress.

I almost let the dream of making it to the top die. I came up with every excuse of why I could not make it up the mountain, but never once did I give myself a reason why I could.

One day as I stared at the mountain and pondered, I realized that if I didn't make an attempt at this dream all my dreams will eventually die."

"The next morning, I started my climb." He continued, "It was not easy, and at times I wanted to quit. But no matter what I faced, I placed one foot in front of the other, keeping a steady pace.

When the wind tried to blow me over the edge, I kept walking.

When the voices inside my head screamed "stop!" I focused on my goal never letting it out of sight, and I kept moving forward.

At times, I was ready to quit, but I knew I had come too far.

Time and time again, I reassured myself that I was going to finish this journey.

I struggled to make it to the top, but I climbed the mountain!"

"I have to be going," my friend said. "Tomorrow is a new day to accomplish more dreams.

By the way, what are you going to do tomorrow?"

I looked at him, with intensity and confidence in my eyes, and said, "I have a mountain to climb."

We have our dreams and goals. We have that mountain to climb. Instead of getting busy climbing it we come up with every excuse not to do it.
Today, on the Feast of Pentecost, let us also begin our journey with the spirit.
It's not enough to have a dream, 
Unless you're willing to pursue it. 
It's not enough to know what's right, 
Unless you're strong enough to do it. 
It's not enough to learn the truth, 
Unless you also learn to live it. 
It's not enough to reach for love, 
Unless you care enough to give it.
Satish