My Missionary Life in Africa

The 28th of July 2003 was a bad day for the county (district) of Buchanan in Liberia, West Africa. The Capuchin Province of St. Francis of Assisi, Kerala, has its Mission in this region. The city, second biggest in Liberia, was captured by the rebels on that day.

The rest of the counties were already under their control. In the morning, people were rushing to the church premises because they found that was the safest place in that area to take refuge. First, they flung their scanty belongings into the church yard over the compound wall at around 9:00 a.m. The school buildings, community hall, Parish office, convent and presbytery were occupied by more
than 8000 local and displaced people from other counties. By 10:00 a.m., we could hear gunshots from near and far. Br. Joseph Ambrose and I were the Franciscan pastors of St. Peter Claver’s Parish, Buchanan.


Br. Joseph was at the gate and I was with the people when I was asked to lie down to be safe from straight bullets. We tried to block the rebels who were pressing in. They were about 250 heavily armed men, carrying AK-47 assault rifles, grenades and rocket launchers. Br. Joseph had no choice but to allow them desperately because they took him at gunpoint. They entered the compound and fear of imminent death shadowed all the people who suddenly recalled the previous civil war which swallowed many innocent lives. Surprisingly, we heard cheerful voice of the rebels who asked for the Parish Priest. They promised the fear-stricken people that they would not kill anyone but protect all from the ruling government.

Some of them turned their attention to the vehicles parked there. While they were trying to take possession of them a rebel shouted, “Where is the Parish priest?” I came forward from the people. “Give the keys of these cars”, he shouted again. I said, “I don’t have them. They aren’t mine but belong to different people.” He did not believe my words. He took me behind the building by force while people watched with staring eyes full of terror. I was beaten and kept at gunpoint. They fired several shots near my legs and then pointed the rifle against my chest. I had no choice but count my last moments. I prayed God surrendering myself totally unto him. God heard my prayer immediately - the time was not yet. One of them intervened and said, “The man doesn’t have the key. Leave him.” They left me for the time being.
For about four months, we could not get out of the church premises. We did not have anything to eat for a couple of days. Fortunately, we had some water to drink. We were at gunpoint several times. Despite all these horrifying experiences, we were happy that we could save many innocent lives. On 9 January 2005, I bade good-bye to the Mission of Liberia. During the farewell meeting, they told me, “Father Lawrence, it’s just because of you, we all are alive today. We don’t want to miss you.” In 2004, when they celebrated the Platinum Jubilee of the Church, they installed a slab inscribing the names of all parish priests who served the parish. Recalling that, they said, “Father, we know your name is not there in the inscription but your name is already written in our hearts for ever.” They cried loudly bidding good-bye. Tears of the whole congregation, young and old alike, were the greatest farewell gift to me.


God chose me to protect His people. I thank God for the times His presence and protection were very much experienced. I believe that I was just in the hands of God as His instrument of Peace.
Sincere tears communicate the same sentiments and fill the eyes of others especially the one for whom the tears were. It expresses love as well as gratitude. I had experienced farewell at different times. Nevertheless, sob of those Liberian children who looked at bleak and insecure days to come, filled my eyes too. Besides at the public thanking and farewell, a group came forward for a personal meeting. They repeated, “Father Lawrence, it’s just because of you, we all are alive today. We don’t want to miss you.” I told them that the civil war was over and they had already started to build up their life. Our church and Parish Hall were renovated. In a way, the life was taking on a positive swing.
I told them, “I want to assure you, if civil war breaks out again now, I am ready to stay back and protect your life. I have completed my mission; please allow me to go back joyfully. You will be always in my prayers.” On 9th January 2005, one of them told me at farewell, “Father you have been sowing seeds. We will add manure to it, water it and bring fruit.” This was an encouraging note for me. All like their children benefit from their sacrifice.

I volunteered to go to Liberian Mission. Ongoing civil war, insecure life, lack of communication facilities, no electricity, etc., etc. were not unknown to me. Knowingly I accepted the challenge. I knew I was risking my life. Actually, I said goodbye to all – I thought I might not be able to see India again.
In fact, we were displaced (IDP – internally displaced people) from River Cess due to Civil War. We were asked to take care of the people at bad time.

Queen of Peace church, is situated in River Cess County, Liberia. It was at this church I began my Missionary life. It is 90 kms away from near by city. It took many days for me to clean the bush near the presbytery, being the first residential priest. Some insects were so poisonous that it’s bite made me fell sick many times. Though it was tough to manage without electricity and telecommunication, the Queen of Peace was declared Parish; and in January 2002, Archbishop Michael K. Francis celebrated Holy Mass on its feast day.

On 23 June 2002, Archbishop laid foundation stone for a new Church in Doe-moe Town. The name of the church is St. Francis of Assisi Church. One more church St. Antony’s Church was established in Yas Town 5 km away. Besides these two, there were already two churches 25 and 60 kilometres respectively away from the parish.

By the end of March 2003, the rebels reached near on the other side of River Cess. We started to shift our belongings to Buchanan. In April, we were taking care of the parish from Buchanan about 90 km away. By the beginning of May, the place was captured by the rebels and they looted the presbytery and the church. By June 2003, the pastors left the country on account of the civil war. It was in such a situation that we volunteered to be pastors of St. Peter Claver’s Church, Buchanan. We could not go back to the old place any more. We waited for about a month in Buchanan sustaining hope. Then we were appointed pastors of this church.